Friday, September 7, 2012

Dream Catcher

I think Native American culture is beautiful and ever since I was a little tyke I would sit in the aisles of the library to read about the different tribes, their ceremonies, and would score over the pictures of their body paintings, clothing, jewelry, headdresses, weapons, tools, etc...

I used to have a dream catcher hanging over my bed when I was little and I could close my eyes and watch as the bad dreams/thoughts would get entangled up in the web, protecting me so I could sleep peacefully.  

 I missed that... that visual representation that bad dreams or thoughts don't have to go into my little cerebellum and keep me awake at night. And I got some wonderful inspiration from this beautiful blog!


What do you need?

  • Ring-like-structure: I went thrifting the other day and found these 4 golden rings!  Don't know what they were used for before that, but I decided to use one of them to make my dream catcher!  If you don't have a random golden ring around your house you can always use... an embroidery hoop, maybe cut the middle part of a plastic lid out? Be creative :)
  • Yarn or Twine
  • Scissors, Glue, Beads, String, Paper Feathers?

  • Doilies: Who doesn't love doilies?  Seriously they're the best :)  Also found easily at thrift stores!


 
 Directions:
1. Wrap it up!


2. Loop on your Doily
Tip: This makes it easier to stick your wobbly yarn through the holes in the doily



3. Add some Frills: You can use your yarn or I use some thin string to attach some beads and dangly bits to the middle and bottom part of my dream catcher. Kittens love danglies :)


Click on the picture below to learn how to make paper feathers!





I'd love to see your dream catchers :) Sweet dreams meow :)






No comments:

Post a Comment